5.13.2013

Live and Die for Hip Hop: RIP Mac Daddy

So, I think it's safe to say that we all know how I feel about Lupe Fiasco.

But before there was Lu, there was Biggie...

And before there was Biggie, there was Kris Kross...




I kid you not, the way I feel about Lupe, it was (is)  x10 for Kris Kross. When I was in junior high school, a local radio station had a contest where all the local schools collected canned goods and whichever school ended up with the heaviest weight of cans would win a concert from Kris Kross. I had to drag my mother to the grocery outlet where we filled a cart full of those humongous cans of beans. I was determined that Juan Crespi Junior High School would win that concert... And we did!

After that show I completely fell in love with Mac Daddy and remained loyal to him even now. Up until last week, he was definitely still my first choice and I had every intention of dumping my husband in the event that I met Mac Daddy and made him fall in love with me. Meeting him has been on my bucket list consistently since 1993...

1996... Still repping for Kris Kross in the whole school picture for the yearbook

Voted "Future Picasso" Junior year... But I just wanted Kris Kross to get the love...

Sadly, it will never happen. Chris Kelly passed away last week. I was doing one of my classmates nails at the time that I got the call about it (did I mention I'm in nail school? Yeah... I am...) and I was so shaken up I had to take a break from doing her nails to calm my nerves.
Being a Mac aint easy...

Though I never met him, I was devastated by the news. It's funny how you never realize how much of an impact that someone you never even met or knew personally could have on your life. Especially during those formative teenage years...

Anyway, since I couldn't make it to Atlanta for the public viewing (and believe me... I weighed all options and tried my best to make it happen) I decided to honor him the best way I know how... On my nails...





Not my neatest work but I love it... The red hand is in honor of my favorite Kris Kross album, Da Bomb...




TMZ streamed his funeral live and I made the mistake of watching it at work. I was in tears the entire time...
I still can't believe he's gone...

So many people loved you... Including me...

It broke my heart to see the other half of Kris Kross, Daddy Mac, getting choked up...

A befitting message on his obituary...

To Chris Kelly I just want to say...
I'll never forget you...
I'll never let you go...
I'll never forget you... 
I'll always remember... I hope you know...

Rest well, James Christopher Kelly... You will forever and always be da bomb to me... I pray that you made it safely to the other side and that everything is alright...



Stay Classy.

Peace... And much lacquer to you.

3 comments:

  1. I was just remembering this tonight. When Kris Kross came to our school at Crespi! That was the shit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Juan Crespi when they came and played for like 5 minutes and left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!? I remember that!

      Delete